Summer here in the UK is nearly over, but I am still clinging on to the abundance of fresh berries as much as possible! I am a huge fan of blueberries especially. They are packed full of antioxidant properties and are a great natural defence mechanism for your immune system. Black berries add a sharp sweetness to this snack without overpowering the chocolate taste. Using raw ingredients and making raw food means your digestive system can benefit from absorbing the foods at their most natural, wholesome state meaning that you gain the full nutritional properties of the foods, delicious!
To make these bites, you will need:
A lined baking tin (I use a 6×6 inch square tin)
200g pitted dates (medjool work best)
200g fresh blueberries
100g ground almonds
100g rolled oats
1/2 cup (melted) coconut oil
1 tsp Sicilian lemon natural flavouring
1. In a food processor, blitz the dates together with the blueberries, ground almonds and oats until the mixture is stiff and well combined
2. Slowly drizzle in the melted coconut oil until the mixture becomes slightly sticky
3. Add the drop of lemon flavour and blitz again for a few seconds
4. Pop the mixture into your lined baking tin, pressing it down to ensure it is evenly spread.
5. Using either RAW Health Organic Cacao Brazil Chocolate Spread (available at www.thehealthbay.com) or your own homemade chocolate spread, spread a thin layer over the blueberry bites mixture. Top with black currants to decorate.
6. Pop the mixture in the freezer for 1 hour or fridge (this takes longer) to set. Slice into even slices and enjoy!
7. Keep refrigerated.