I absolutely love granola. I love making it and I love eating it! It can be sprinkled on top of yoghurt, ice cream or even enjoyed by itself with some almond milk and some slices of fresh coconut. Delicious.
I have created this apple + cinnamon granola using buckwheat, instead of traditional oats, to make for a different, crunchier texture which I find absolutely scrumptious. Apple + cinnamon is also my favourite flavour combination so it was a great excuse to use it for this recipe!
Below I have created a step-by-step guide on how to make this yummy granola so it’s super easy for you to recreate! Enjoy.
To make a large jars worth of granola you will need:
100g pitted dates
4 medjool dates
1 green apple
150g raw buckwheat groats
50g raw hemp seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
50g flaked almonds
75g chopped mixed nuts
3tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1tbsp goji berries
1tsp ground cinnamon
1. Simmer the pitted dates in a little water over a low heat to soften the dates.
2. Add to a large bowl, the buckwheat groats, hemp seeds, mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, almond flakes and cinnamon.
3. Chop the medjool dates into small pieces, for texture. Add to the large bowl.
4. Chop the apple into thin slices. Add to the large bowl.
5. Take the softened dates off of the heat and blend into a sticky paste using a little water.
6. Melt the coconut oil.
7. Add the maple syrup and blended dates to the melted coconut oil and mix together. Pour the liquid into the large bowl on to the dry ingredients and stir well.
8. Ensure mixture is evenly covered with the sticky date, oil and syrup mix.
9. Place mixture on to a lined baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 160’C (fan) for 15 minutes.
10. Drop the oven temperature to 120’C (fan) and bake for a further 1 hour.
11. Take granola out of the oven and leave on the baking tray to crisp up. Set aside for at least 1 hour. Crumble up the mixture and place into a large air-tight container/jar. Enjoy!