As it is becoming a little autumnal outside here in London I have decided to embrace my favourite homely dessert, apple pie! I know I am not the only one who loves a freshly baked slice of apple pie with custard, but I know for sure that it is not a ‘clean’ dessert by any means! It is certainly not a dessert to indulge in whilst watching your waistline.
As an alternative to that naughty slice of pie, I’ve created this delicious recipe to make apple pie fritters topped with some baked figs for an added autumnal vibe.
To make 4 medium fritters, you will need:
2 small bananas (mashed)
3.5 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
2.5 tbsp buckwheat flour/whole grain spelt flour
2 tbsp oats
1 tbsp stevia (or sweetener of choice)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 baked fig (for topping)
Coconut oil for cooking
1. Mix together in a large bowl all ingredients apart from the coconut oil and baked fig.
2. Combine well and set mixture aside for 5 minutes.
3. Bake the fig in an ovenproof dish for 5-10 minutes.
4. Grease your saucepan with coconut oil ready to make the fritters.
5. Cook the fritters in the coconut oil and fry on each side until slightly browned. Serve warm with maple syrup/Manuka honey and the sliced baked fig.