I’ve been playing around with a few baking recipes recently and have come up with a delicious crumble tart recipe! If you have a sweet tooth like me and you love a good pudding at the end of a meal, this is the perfect sweet treat! I have substituted more commonly used ingredients for healthier versions, such as swapping white flour for wholemeal flour, in the hope of creating something a little more health friendly.
For the base:
- 220g wholemeal flour
- 120g butter (to make it vegan, you can use vegan butter here)
- 25g coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk
- 1 egg (or egg substitute for a vegan recipe)
For the filling:
- 5 gala apples
- 100g blueberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (added sweeteness)
For the crumble topping:
- 150g regular oats
- 50g coconut sugar
- 100g butter (to make it vegan, you can use vegan butter here)
- 110g wholemeal flour
- Let’s start by making the base. You want to add the flour and butter to a large bowl and mix together until chunky breadcrumbs form. Add in the sugar and egg and mix again until a slightly sticky dough forms. Add more flour at this stage if necessary to avoid a sticky dough.
- Roll out the dough using a rolling pin and roll so the dough is wide enough to cover a 10 x 10 inch round pie tin.
- Pop the pasty into the pie tin and prick with a fork generously then set aside to cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pastry is cooling, make the filling. Put the diced apples and blueberries in a deep saucepan with 2tbsp water and coconut sugar.
- Bring the water to the boil and simmer the fruit until it is slightly soft – this should take about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the crumble topping, mix together the butter, oats and flour and form a rough crumble texture. Add the sugar. Set aside.
Baking the pie –
- Pre-heat the oven to 180’c fan. Bake the base in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes until crisp. Lower the temperature to 150’c fan and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the berry and apple mixture into the base and sprinkle the crumble topping onto the pie. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Enjoy with you’re favourite vegan ice cream or custard! YUM.